Choose the right tyres for your SUV
Do you own an SUV?
For many Australian families, the SUV (sports utility vehicle) is a popular choice. Perhaps this is because they typically offer a high roof, low floor and wagon shape, which means there is ample head and legroom and plenty of storage space. Such space is likely to feature quite prominently on many family’s ideal car wishlist.
If you do own an SUV, perhaps the time has come to buy new tyres. If this is the case, you may well be asking yourself - “What tyres are right for my SUV?”. At BestDrive we understand that, for some, buying new tyres can seem like a complicated process, which is why we have put together a simple guide to buying SUV tyres.
How do you choose suitable SUV tyres?
There are a large number of SUVs on the market, which means that there are also plenty of tyre options available too. Tyre size, speed rating and load rating are all non-negotiables. You can locate this information in your owner’s manual to see what tyres are specified for your particular SUV make and model.
Once you have referred to your owner’s manual for the correct tyre for your SUV, you should give consideration to which of the following features matter most to you:
- Road noise
- Fuel efficiency
Considering these tyre features will assist you in selecting a tyre that best meets your needs. You will also need to give careful consideration to the kind of terrains you frequently drive on and the road conditions. From tyres designed to help your SUV perform in an urban environment, to AT (All Terrain) tyres that provide your SUV with high performance on rougher terrain; BestDrive has an SUV tyre suited to your vehicle and driving needs.
Should you buy the same as the OE tyres?
One option when buying new tyres is to choose the same tyre that came as the OE (original equipment) on your SUV. Manufacturers spend considerable time during the development phase to select the best tyres for each make and model of SUV. The OE tyres on your SUV are intended to optimise the overall performance and comfort of the vehicle, based on the car manufacturer’s requirements.
When you decide to replace your worn tyres with the OE tyres for your SUV this assures that the following features are equal to the tyres being replaced:
- Physical dimensions
- Internal construction
- Tread design
- Key performance attributes
For some SUV owners however, staying with the OE tyre may not be the right choice. For example, if you drive an older SUV model then there may now be SUV tyres available with more advanced technologies and additional features that may be of benefit to your vehicle’s performance and safety. In other instances, you may find that the terrain you frequently drive on requires a more robust tyre, designed to withstand rougher terrain.
Are cheap SUV tyres okay?
We’ve all heard the expression “You get what you pay for”. When it comes to buying new tyres, this is typically true. Purchasing tyres from a reputable dealer, such as your local BestDrive store, will ensure that they adhere to the standards specified by the Australian Design Rules (ADR). It is good to be aware however, that cheaper, budget tyres are typically made from a harder rubber compound that offers reduced traction and on-road handling capabilities.
BestDrive supplies and fits a range of tyres to suit most budgets from trusted brands, including Continental, Kumho and Hifly. We also offer Openpay, which means that you have the option to buy the tyres you want and manage the repayments over a select period of time, interest free.
What SUV tyres can I buy at BestDrive?
Your local BestDrive store supplies and fits a great range of SUV tyres to suit an array of SUV makes and models, driving needs and budgets. Here are just some of the SUV tyres that we offer:
For On-road and Off-road use:
Continental ContiCrossContact LX Sport
- Suited to a variety of terrains, providing enhanced safety
- Outstanding handling for on-road and general off-road use
- Excellent braking performance on dry and wet roads
- Optimised rolling resistance
Mickey Thompson Mickey All-Terrain 38
This tyre is an excellent upgrade for your SUV for traction and strength on all terrains.
- Generous Micro Gauge Sipes - The tiny incisions that suck up and squeeze water out from the tread, are angled to reduce the depth at the edge of the tread block, increasing cut and chip resistance.
- Tie Bars - Tie bars link the tread blocks together for higher ride stability for the best possible driving response.
- Angled Shoulder Scallops - Self-clean and assist in additional off-road traction.
- Two -Pitch Sidebiter - Breaks up the terrain for additional sidewall protection and traction.
- Tread Edge Chamfers - Aid in reducing stone retention for improved cut and chip resistance.
For a quiet ride:
Continental CrossContact RX
- Thanks to the newly developed sipe technology, the CrossContact RX provides excellent wet traction without compromising dry performance
- Enjoy a smooth and quiet ride, made possible by a harmonised sipe distribution which leads to an even footprint pressure in the tyre’s contact patch
Kumho Crugen Premium
- A premium, all season touring tyre for luxury SUVs
- High quality comfort
- Optimum steering stability in on-road conditions
- Reduced on-road noise
- Outstanding ride comfort
- Well balanced dry and wet traction
For ultimate comfort:
Continental UltraContact UC6 SUV
The ultimate balance of comfort, performance, safety, and handling between urban life and long distance trips.
- Excellent braking and cornering on wet roads.
- High level of traction, grip and safety on both dry and wet roads.
- A quiet and comfortable ride with reduced noise levels.
- You will receive excellent wear performance thanks to interlocked polymer compound equipped in every UC6 SUV tyre.
The Hifly HP801 is designed for high-end sports style SUVs and offers superb performance and optimal ride comfort.
- 4 circumferential grooves ensure excellent performance on wet roads.
- Variable pitch tread design for a comfortable and quiet ride.
- Silica technology ensures excellent performance on wet roads and reduces rolling resistance.
BestDrive is your local tyre expert, offering a great range of SUV tyres, including high performance, All-Terrain and touring tyres. Let the knowledgeable staff at your local store assist you in finding the right SUV tyre for your driving needs and budget.
BestDrive. You drive, we care.