Prioritise tyre safety and comfort for your next road trip
Planning an Easter getaway with the family? Give your tyres the once over beforehand.
With the Easter break approaching, it’s time to consider how you plan to spend your well earned time off. Perhaps you intend to take the family on a road trip or two, afterall, Easter is the perfect time to get out in the fresh air and hit the roads.
To ensure that your next road trip is a safe one, take a moment to consider your tyres.
A visual inspection of your car’s tyres can highlight any potential issues that may need resolving prior to taking a road trip. When your car’s tyres are correctly maintained, you can feel confident that they will provide you and your passengers with optimal safety, performance and comfort for any road trip.
The key aspects to a visual tyre inspection should include:
Checking and adjusting tyre pressure can be done by either yourself or the professionals at your local BestDrive store. You should always adhere to the manufacturer’s recommended inflation pressures to ensure vehicle safety and performance, as well as tyre longevity.
You can find the recommended tyre pressure for your car in either your vehicle manual or your vehicle placard, which is typically located in the door jamb on the driver’s side of your car. In some instances, a car may require different pressure levels for the front and rear tyres.
Look for signs of tyre damage
Thoroughly check the tyre sidewalls and treads for any signs of damage. This includes cuts, bulges, gouges and uneven wear.
Look for any nails or sharp objects that may have become embedded in your tyres. Look for cuts and damage to the sidewall and ensure that the valve is clean from corrosion, is still in working order, and still has a dust cap installed.
If you notice a puncture, unusual bulging or other signs of tyre damage, contact your local BestDrive store. Our qualified technicians can assess both the external and internal condition of your car’s tyres. This ensures that any tyre repairs or replacements are anticipated and handled appropriately before you head off on a road trip.
In Australia, the legal tread limit is 1.5mm of tread. Tread depth is a legal requirement that is essential for safe braking and effective water dispersion. Once your tyres have reached 1.6mm of remaining tread depth, ideally, you should be looking to replace your tyres. Checking your tyre tread is a relatively simple task and can be done in several ways:
- Wear bar: tyres have a wear bar in their tread. As the tread wears down, the wear bar becomes increasingly visible. Once the tread is worn level with the wear bar, it is time to replace your tyres.
- Tyre tread depth gauge: you can monitor the tread depth of your tyres by using a tyre tread depth gauge, which can be purchased from your local car part store.
- 20c coin trick: this is done by placing a 20c coin into the tread of your tyre, if the tread doesn’t reach the bill of the platypus that means that there’s less than 3mm of tread remaining.
If you would like assistance assessing the condition of your tyres, the professionals at your local BestDrive store are able to assist.
Time for a new set of tyres?
Perhaps your vehicle may be due for a new set of tyres? There’s nothing like starting the new year off, knowing that your vehicle is in top working condition. BestDrive stock a great range of tyres from top brands.
Our expert team is able to provide you with a free assessment based on your vehicle, budget and driving habits to ensure that you have the right tyres for you and your vehicle.
Here are 3 of our top performing tyres, popular for their safety and ride comfort qualities:
Continental ComfortContact CC6
Continental ComfortContact CC6 is the best choice for drivers who consider comfort a priority in their riding experience.
- Superior comfort
- Significantly low levels of noise generation
- Flexible compound absorbs road bumps
- High mileage performance
- High levels of comfort and safety
- Good fuel efficiency
Continental PremiumContact 6
The next instalment in the ever successful PremiumContact family, where comfort is so much more than just a driving characteristic.
- Comfort with safety thanks to improved wet braking performance
- Comfort with stability and control thanks to improved handling
- Comfort with value thanks to lower fuel consumption and improved mileage
The ContiEcoContact offers safety and efficiency for those driving a compact to mid-range car.
- High mileage and low fuel consumption
- Reduced braking distances on both wet and dry roads
- Extremely good traction, particularly when cornering on wet roads
Consider your local BestDrive store your ‘go to’ destination not only for a great range of tyres, but also tyre care and maintenance, wheels, brakes, suspension, wheel alignments, mechanical servicing and more. Our experienced technicians and mechanics are ready to give your car the attention that it needs to keep you comfortable and safe on your next road trip and beyond.
BestDrive. You drive, we care.